A predictive maintenance (PdM) program can help identify impending electrical equipment problems so that corrective action can be taken to reduce failures. PdM is based on condition monitoring to predict when electrical equipment will fail or is in need of repair. A PdM program measures equipment on a regular basis, tracks the measurements over time and helps determine the condition of electrical equipment to predict when maintenance should be performed. Basically, PdM differs from preventive maintenance by basing maintenance needs on the actual condition of the equipment, rather than on some predetermined schedule. PdM is much less expensive than the high cost of unplanned repairs, replacement and downtime when an equipment failure occurs.
A well-run PdM program where repairs are performed when planned and only when warranted can lead to a savings* including:
- Return on investment: 10 times
- Reduction in maintenance costs: 25% to 30%
- Elimination of breakdowns: 70% to 75%
- Reduction in downtime: 35% to 45%
- Increase component operational life
- Allow for preemptive corrective actions
- Improve worker and environmental safety
- Increase overall energy savings
Power Management can consult with you to put a PdM program in place to shield your property from electrical failures and help make informed decisions about equipment maintenance.
(*Statistical Source DOE Website)
Safety is not expensive, it's priceless